Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Hand (Part 2)

In the Yood stanza, the Psalmist expresses trust in the Lord's hand moving faithfully in his life. Are we also expressing that same trust for our own lives even when we are going through times of trouble?

-Raquel

The Treasury of David
by Charles Spurgeon


Psalm 119:73-80
73 Your hands have made me and fashioned me;
Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments.
74 Those who fear You will be glad when they see me,
Because I have hoped in Your word.
75 I know, O LORD, that Your judgments are right,
And that in faithfulness You have afflicted me.
76 Let, I pray, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort,
According to Your word to Your servant.
77 Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live;
For Your law is my delight.
78 Let the proud be ashamed,
For they treated me wrongfully with falsehood;
But I will meditate on Your precepts.
79 Let those who fear You turn to me,
Those who know Your testimonies.
80 Let my heart be blameless regarding Your statutes,
That I may not be ashamed.


We have now come to the tenth portion, which in each stanza begins with Yood. Its subject would seem to be personal experience and its attractive influence upon others. The prophet is in deep sorrow, but looks to be delivered and made a blessing. Endeavouring to teach, the Psalmist first seeks to be taught (verse 73), persuades Himself that he will be well received (74), and rehearses the testimony which he intends to bear (75). He prays for more experience (76, 77), for the baffling of the proud (78), for the gathering together of the godly to him (79), and for himself again that he may be fully equipped for his witness bearing and may be sustained in it (80). This is the anxious yet hopeful cry of one who is heavily afflicted by cruel adversaries, and therefore makes his appeal to God as his only friend.

In God's Hands
by Jeffrey Pollock


In God's hands
We twist and turn,
Knowing His commands
But unwilling to learn;
In God's hands
We climb and fall,
Striving to stand
But ignoring His call.

In God's hands
We worry and work,
Following fallen man
In a never-ending search;
In God's hands
We break and die,
Surrendering our plans
To the Creator of life.

In God's hands
We worship and rest,
Believing Jesus has
Freed us from certain death;
Redeemed by His blood
We kneel at Jesus' feet,
Captured by His love
In God's hands we are complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment