Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Staff (Part 2)

In the Lamed stanza, we see the Psalmist understanding the authority of the Lord over his life. Do we personally understand the power of His great authority over our own lives? And if so, have we experienced the great expectation that comes along with it?

-Raquel

Hebrew Word Pictures
by Dr. Frank T. Seekins

Each of the verses in the twelfth stanza of Psalm 119 starts with the letter Lamed.

Psalm 119:89-96
89 Forever, O LORD,
Your word is settled in heaven.
90 Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
You established the earth, and it abides.
91 They continue this day according to Your ordinances,
For all are Your servants.
92 Unless Your law had been my delight,
I would then have perished in my affliction.
93 I will never forget Your precepts,
For by them You have given me life.
94 I am Yours, save me;
For I have sought Your precepts.
95 The wicked wait for me to destroy me,
But I will consider Your testimonies.
96 I have seen the consummation of all perfection,
But Your commandment is exceedingly broad.


The letter Lamed is used in the Hebrew words for:

To-Toward
When added as a prefix to a Hebrew word means to or toward. A cattle goad was used to drive animals to the destination.

"To know wisdom and instruction, To perceive the words of understanding." -Proverbs 1:2

As a prefix this letter is used to mean to or toward 5 times in Psalm 119:89-96.


God
The word for God is el. The word picture tells us that God is the first or the strong authority.

"When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, 'I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless.'" -Genesis 17:1


Heart
The Hebrew word for the heart is lev. The word picture tells us that the heart is what controls the inside.

"The wise in heart will receive commands, But a prating fool will fall." -Proverbs 10:8

"Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him." -Proverbs 22:15


Tongue
The word that means the tongue is la-shon. The word picture tells us that the tongue is the rod that devours and establishes life.

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit." -Proverbs 18:21


Teach
The Hebrew word for teach is lee-med and comes directly from the word for the eleventh letter of the Alef Bet. To teach, just like a shepherd is to care for and to direct.

"Blessed are You, O LORD! Teach me Your statutes." -Psalm 119:12

"I have declared my ways, and You answered me; Teach me Your statutes." -Psalm 119:26

"The earth, O LORD, is full of Your mercy; Teach me Your statutes." -Psalm 119:64

"You are good, and do good; Teach me Your statutes." -Psalm 119:68

"Deal with Your servant according to Your mercy, And teach me Your statutes." -Psalm 119:124

No comments:

Post a Comment